"That? Oh. That's the 'Edible Room'."
"What's
that?!"
Wonka's lips curved, turning from a neutral
line to a childlike mischievous grin, "Everything is edible
inside. Hence? The sign." He pointed with his eyes and eyebrows
as everyone's heads turned.
Speaking as one, much
like students in a classroom, the group spoke aloud, "Do. Not.
Enter. All. Things. Edible. In. The. Edible. Room."
"Like
what? The walls?" Mike Teavee asked, brow scrunched in
confusion beneath the cowboy hat perched upon his head.
Wonka
nodded, a twinkle in his eye.
"What about
chairs?!" Violet asked, chewing her gum at a fevered pace
"A
table?!" Augustus Gloop shouted in rapt attention.
"The
lights?" Charlie asked, his eyes looking upward.
The
questions fell rapidly. Pattering like rain upon the factory roof as
Wonka continued looking, ignoring questions as he searched the walls
within the hallway with no other doors.
"Hmm.
I vould swear there was another door here. Somewhere" he
continued pressing, sometimes knocking as if confused, "That
room? Is not part of the tour. Ah. This way please."
Another doorway, a hidden one, yawned open as light
spilled inward.
"NO!" Veruca shouted, stomping
a foot like a stubborn bull, "I WANT TO GO INTO THAT ONE! I
want to. I want go in NOW, DADDY!"
Mr. Salt pushed
his way past Charlie and toward the front importantly as he cleared
his throat. His voice was a rooty grumble. "Now see here Wonka!
This is a business and businesses must realize the CUSTOMER is always
right. We want to see what's in the room, and I'll accept NO other
substitutes!" There was a rumble as several others murmured
their agreement.
Wonka, his head cocked slightly to the
side, had a curiously analytical look as his eyes glittered with a
gleeful mirth.
"Oh. I see good sir, and thank you
for reminding me." He said. With a turn, the door opened with a
soft click. Well oiled, maintained and suitable for the purpose.
Charlie was startled as Wonka twirled around with a
sudden spin, but Grandpa Joe simply smiled down at him reassuringly
as he patted his hand in comfort.
Locking eyes with
everyone in turn before speaking, Wonka lifted a single finger, like
an exclaimation point to enunciate his meaning.
"Everyone?
Now, I must warn you this room was never meant to be on the tour. As
I need to make clear, our esteemed Mr. Salt..." he paused as Mr.
Salt preened and swelled with self-important pride, "Has
reminded me I should always take a customer's wishes into
consideration in matters of choice."
He stopped,
scanning the eager faces of the crowded hallway again before
continuing. "A warning. A single warning. If you enter this
room, regardless of the sign? Avoiding the warning written in plain
letters upon this door? Everything within the room is deemed edible."
Charlie squeezed Grandpa Joe's hand. He didn't understand
why, but he was suddenly very afraid to enter. The doorway was dark.
Like a black-framed hole lacking light or good cheer.as Wonka waved
an inviting hand forward for whoever might go.
A sweet,
delicious smell issued forth from the opening.
"Uts
that," Augustus Gloop said, his nose sniffing the air like a
hound, "CHOCOLATE I SMELL?!"
"Out of the
way!" The children yelled as they dashed forward. Wonka deftly
stepped aside gracefully as the parents raced after. Their forms
disappeared from Charlie's view into the darkness beyond.
Grandpa Joe stepped forward, fully intending to follow
when Charlie's hand halted him. Charlie pulled desperately to keep
him back, "Grandpa, no! I don't want to go. I don't like this!"
"Charlie..." Grandpa Joe began before seeing
the expression on little Charlie's face. With a frown Grandpa
Joe nodded, only once issuing a heavy sigh of defeat as Wonka softly
closed the door and turned to face them.
With a
playfully neutral tone he spoke, "Mind the gap."
The
room, once silent was now filled with the curdled screams and
gurgling cries of the occupents who had charged inside.
Charlie
fell backward in horror, his hands desperately covering his ears to
stop the noise as the sounds of chewing began.
There
was a dull thud as Grandpa Joe clutched his chest, a sharp pain
causing his arm to go numb with shock as he slid down the wall and
onto the floor. His eyes were glassy and dazed.
Wonka
sighed once. A tiny, regretful thing.
"I did
warn them."
(Procrastination, thy
name be my muse. Mobile. Thy existance a blight.)
2 comments:
Interesting
Silly prompt from a forum to write something about misinterpreted phrasing. For some reason I couldn't shake the idea of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Thank you!
Post a Comment