Good day everyone!
I'd like to share a practice I use as a writing exercise to get the creative juices flowing when I feel stuck (or just need a warm-up).
As a student, I was blessed with a very involved English teacher. One of her practices involved writing exercises with daily morning prompts. We'd get timed periods to make 500 word, 1000 word and 2000 word essays (with 5000 word essays for examination and the like).
Recent "mini-prompts" like these are usually tied to a loosely linked narrative. A magical crossroads between "worlds" loosely tied to a lore which has been slowly unveiled. It likely will never see the light of day, but these prompts are something special sometimes. The phrase "Today is a good day" is one of particular connection between them.
Note: These were made to be listened to the music to set the theme which inspired them. Sometimes it fits, sometimes not. All of them are also "rough draft" state, as they're written the day of a posting.
In lieu of just the usual boring old "chapter released!" posts, I hope you all enjoy. <3
===========================
Today's music: Neovaii - Wake Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xltwXKBruu4&list=RDxltwXKBruu4
Prompt: Peotyr, The Little Wolf-Slayer (Spy/intrigue. Drama. Heartfelt. Slavic Mythology.)
=============================
"She was meant to be cover. Nothing more. Nothing less. You know this, da? Another person's soul is darkness."
The atrium thrums with activity as people move to and fro, letting their lives play out before them. At a cafe table, two men sit across from each other: one bearded and grave, the other young and fresh-faced.
Both sit warily, uncertain of the other's intentions for the meeting. They are within neutral ground, their two doorways separated by a darkened corridor in the crawl beyond the food court.
The younger man sighs heavily. "I know the saying, dedushka."
"Then you know it was simply a mission, Pyotr! 'The moon gives us light but no heat.' You remember this? Are you too deep?! Have you lost your mind, my little Wolf-Slayer?" The old man's voice is stern but quiet. The younger man feels a pang of regret as the familiar tone pierces his heart.
He had believed he'd steeled himself for what he would need to do.
"Da." The younger man said, averting his eyes. "I never expected. You must know she is Luna and I, Dazhbog. The flames of my mind chase her across the cosmos. There is more to life than subterfuge."
The old man's shoulders slump. The weight of the world now upon them.
"Pity."
The man appears to age visibly before his grandson. "You had so much potential. Your father shall be enraged."
Upon the younger man's face stoic indifference flows, like ice on a lake's surface before a freeze. "Must we do this here, ded? I do not want to test."
The atrium continues to buzz with activity, oblivious to the silent tug-of-war being waged across the table. The old man's mustache bristles for a moment. He works his jaw in frustration as he mulls over an unspoken thought.*
No." He eventually says with a sigh. He shifts both hands to rest on his knees. "The treaty is solid. I will do nothing at this table or within this place. We shall share a drink and break bread, Malen'kiy volk. My little wolf. We are safe for now. No testing."
The old man smiles sadly at his grandson; moisture welling within the corners of his eyes. "Now. Tell me of her, Peotyr. Let me be your grandfather one final time before you are declared izgnannik. An outlaw."
The young man's hands relax in response. The hidden weapon still undrawn. "Thank you, Baba. I—" he stops speaking. unable to finish what he intended to say.
"I will miss you."
The old man grasps his cup, lifting it with a gilded smile. The two clink and deeply pull. Their affection for each other broadcast by simple tradition.
"If the three fates have any mercy for this old soul?" A single tear falls to the ground like a fallen star. "So shall I. That must be a problem for tomorrow." The old man lifts a finger. "Another! This time a bottle please!"
He covers his grandson's hand and squeezes it firmly.
"TODAY shall be a good day!"
No comments:
Post a Comment